Thursday, August 28, 2008

State Capitol


I had to look up to see if it was the State Capitol or Capital. I thought it is was the "o" version and the "a" version was the city, but I wasn't 100% sure and I didn't want to look dumb. ( I didn't have to tell you that I looked it up, but I figure I am not the only one who hasn't used this bit of knowledge in 20 something years and someone else may need a little refresher.)



This is the Capitol building in Atlanta, complete with the gold dome. Made from gold found in the Dahlonega area. "Gold in them thar hills." is said to originate from the first U.S. gold rush in Georgia not from the later gold rush in California.






It was built over an old a rail road site that was destroyed by fire. You know the one, the fire from US history and a movie. (This is just an old picture of mid 1800's Atlanta that I found on line somewhere. Sorry I don't have the link.)



I use to pass this bridge going to work sometimes. The office where I had a meeting on Monday was next door. The bridge goes no where on both sides. It must have some sort of historic significance for it to be still standing.




These shots are from another building near the capitol. So very Deco. I am sure that is Georgia marble.




Ya know.......Georgia marble would make good counter tops.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

Thanks for making me even more homesick! : )

As for the bridge, I remember it well: "The old truss bridge was once part of a major outlet west (US 78-278 Hwy) out of downtown Atlanta before the newer Northside Dr bridge was built...It has been closed for at least twenty or thirty years. The bridge spans the Norfolk Southern railroad tracks." - http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMQ2J

And you are so right - Georgia marble would make a GREAT countertop!

Melinda said...

You got me curious as to why the bridge has not been torn down and here is what I found: It was built in 1912 and it is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places; but supposedly, it will be replaced as part of a roadway widening project : (

Sandy said...

It's sad that they can't leave things like that up and just work around it. I think the bridge is pretty cool!

I agree, Georgia marble would definitely make beautiful counter tops!