Monday, March 9, 2009

Peel Away My new BFF


Peel AWAY is my new BFF.


All the other strippers just make me mad.
They make the hairs in my nose burn.
They make me want to pull out all the trim in this old house and drag it to the curb.


Special thanks go to Westview Bungalow for the tip on where to find this gem of a chemical that strips through 99,000 layers of mulit-colored paint overnight in a single sweep. I looked everywhere in my small town and thought I would have to take a trip to the city to find the stuff.

However, Steffi suggested to look for Peel Away at Sherwin Williams. And our local SW store had it. Hidden. On a bottom shelf. Under a 1/4" of dust. They also did not know too much about it and tried to sell me some type of fabric to go with it????? I pulled up the Westview Bungalow web site on my handy Google phone to show them what the paper backing looked like.
(Hint.....The paper backing was in the tub of Peel Away.) Other than that bit of drama, all went well.


You can see Here.... and Here.... that the Westview Bungalow-ians are expert strippers.




Sorry, no pictures yet. I was too busy keeping toxic chemicals off the floor, off the dog, off my jeans, and out of my hair to attempt to take a picture.



_______________________________________________________


In other news......

We've been busy working in the yard, trying to battle the Kudzu before it begins its summer sprint.

Also...we have company coming next week. YAY!

13 comments:

Melinda said...

I am off to SW right now!! I have been tirelessly stripping paint in my laundry room and am about at witts end. I have almost started repainting it on numerous occassions : )

Bungalow Monster said...

I concur. PeelAway is by far, the best stripper I have used. I've tested probably 15 others. In case this helps... As long as it can be kept from drying out, I've left it on up to 3 days which allows it to work its magic. Also... when I run out of the included paper, I just use normal cellophane to cover up the stripper. Another note... if you are repainting the stripped area, be sure that you are diligent about neutralizing the wood with the acid or vinegar solution (PeelAway will send you little packs of litmus paper to test it). The wood has to be PH neutral or the new paint won't stick. For what it's worth.

Jen said...

I've have tried countless strippers, and heat guns, too. NOTHING works like PeelAway. I used vinegar and then vinegar water, then water. The trim needs sanding and the final condition of the trim will determine its final finish.

Anonymous said...

Good to know. I've had the hardest time getting motivated to finish the LR windows. Maybe this will be the push I need.

What are you working on? Is this for trim or for a furniture piece?

Jen said...

I have been skipping around, because I kept thinking.....maybe this area will be easier. I know that is bad, but after hours in one spot with no visual progress, I move on...

Right now I am focusing on the door casings in the hall. I think this product will allow me to stay focused.

Why S? said...

Does it not have a strong odor? We just bought a salvaged door that is painted. We'll probably just re-paint as I don't think the hubby can handle one more project now but I'd really like to have it stripped (but I won't be doing it.)

Karen Anne said...

Why S, maybe strip the door outside when the weather is better?

M'elle said...

This is great! We have a HUGE and I mean HUGE pantry/ cabinet thing that we want to strip down to the original woodwork (you can see it inside the cabinetry - just beautiful). We tried the heat gun and that barely got one layer off of one drawer. I really did not want to go through the trial and error process with 5 million chemicals only to end up frustrated and painting it white again.
Thanks for passing along the info!

Anonymous said...

Great info! I have an entire house of mine to strip!!!

Jennifer said...

Ooo... thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to see about that stuff.

Anonymous said...

There is no strong scent. Only a slight odor.

EGE said...

AAUUUUGGGGHHH!!! Someone Australian recommended this to me when I was picking scabs out of my nose, but I couldn't find it and assumed that it was, you know, one o' them foreign-type things that actually work and so are therefore illegal here -- like Solpadeine.

Sherwin Williams, you say? Hm. I wonder if they sell Solpadeine...

Steffi said...

Had to laugh that you had to teach the guy at the store about the product they're selling. Ours was also hidden on a bottom shelf by the way!