Monday, January 12, 2009

Growing Red Ferns.

The first time I read, Where the Red Fern Grows, I was in Summer Reading Club at Coleman Library. Every summer as soon as the last school bell rang, it was time for reading club.


Oh sometimes, I would take other lessons like baton, art, music, and even...tennis. Those other lessons would vary from summer to summer. However reading club was every summer.



Last week, I won this copy of Where the Red Fern Grows, from The Country Doctor's Wife. I look forward to reading this touching tale again. I also remember seeing the movie.

Do you remember the movie? It ranks up there with Old Yeller, and The Yearling.


Thank You, Rechelle and Kleenex thanks you , too.


I will forward the book on to my nephews when I finish.

_______________________________________________


As far as growing red ferns.....

The only thing that grows freely around here is.....



and.....



Wonder what the Indians would have to say about that? hummmmm..........


oh .....and....

My grandfather once had dogs that looked like those coon hounds on the cover.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember so clearly reading that book. I remember laying on my bed with the white bedspread and the dogs dying and just crying and crying. I never saw the movie (or Old Yeller), but I read both.

This is why I can't go see Marley and Me. I get way too teary when dogs die, fictional or not.

::sniff::

Natalie at Our Old Southern House said...

oh that book! oh that movie! 'where the red fern grows' and 'old yellar' made me cry hysterically as a child...i remember my mom threatening to turn the movies off if i didn't stop cry b/c i was hyperventilating. good luck reading that book!

Joe J. Ernst said...

Hands down the best book I ever read as a kid. The only thing that came close was To Kill a Mockingbird. I only read the book once but it has stuck with me for a lifetime. I think I'll check it out from the library and read it to my girls for story time.

a friend said...

That book was one of my faves!